Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Stealing branches? (Journal Entry)

So, I tried to go with Deepa to the jungle today- which proved to be another cultural experience…? She came through the patio area- obviously going to the jungle- knife in hand and rope to tie the bundles of branches together. I asked her if she was going to the jungle, she replied, “No, the field.” I gave her a questioning look and then looked at Joyti, who was also sitting there. I was confused. Did she not want me to go? Was she really going to the field to do some other work that required a knife and a rope that I didn’t know about?

Joyti told me after she went that she was indeed going to the jungle, but didn’t want me to come because she was going to cut down branches from trees that weren’t supposed to be cut. I couldn’t figure out if they weren’t supposed to be cut because they belonged to someone else’s trees or just because. I don't think it was because it was a general sense of “Save the trees”- but because they were another villages' trees maybe. I was shocked that she flat out lied to me…perhaps we’ll do a story on lying…and stealing branches!! Haha…

No comments: