Sunday, February 5, 2006

Letter to Mark

Hand written letter Written to my brother, Mark:
Hey Markie!

How are you? What’s new in your life? Those book studies you’ve been going to sound good. What book are you studying now? Are you working on memorizing anything from the Book? If you are, tell me – I will try and memorize it with you. You probably have people there who can hold you accountable and who can check in with you to see if you are learning it. Perhaps you can help keep me accountable by asking me how much I’ve learned! I tried to memorize Psalm 16 about 2 months ago and still don’t even know the first verse! I think I need to learn single verses rather than go for a whole passage – at least at first. It seems so daunting!

Last night, Robin and I spent some time killing the flies in our room! Actually, Bicky (the brother) and Joyti (The sister) were also in our room swinging around our duputtas (the scarf-like thing girls wear with their dresses). I think we stirred up more flies than there were before, but all well. The whole thing was quite comical!

The flies are a bother, but if this is the only thing I can complain about, then I must say I have a pretty great life! Honestly, I was thinking about home today and while I miss it, I love life here! In spite of not being able to always communicate and even though these people do strange things sometimes – I really enjoy, yes, even love living among them. I’m not sure if I’ll always feel this way, but at least right now, it’s as if I’m living out my life long dream!

It’s funny to think of this place as my life long dream! And I’m only 23! A place where we don’t always have electricity, there’s no internet, and our cell phones don’t always have a signal. A place where we use our hands (just our left hand) as toilet paper; a place where a bath happens once a week or so, and then only about half a bucket of water is used- why? Because you don’t need more than that! A place where bells and horns made from a large shell are heard daily as people recite memorized prayers to their gods. A place where people look down on others, just because. A place where communication is frequently misunderstood (they get confused with what I say, I get confused with what they say). A place where killing flies and chasing monkeys could be a part of your daily routine…

And this place, you ask, is your dream? Perhaps not the place so much as the people. Somehow thinking about why I’m here, and what our Father could do among these people is amazing to even ponder! I don’t know what His plans are for these people or if I will ever see what one would consider ‘results,’ but even so, I consider it a privilege and blessing to be here now a part of His work!

I love you and miss you. ~ Lizzie

No comments: