Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Eating grass... and Frisbee (Journal Entry)

“…Does it seem a small thing to you that the God of Israel has chosen you from among all the people of Israel to be near him as you serve in the Lord’s Tabernacle and to stand before the people to minister to them? ~ Numbers 16:9

“For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” ~ 1 Timothy 4:8

We didn’t have electricity from yesterday afternoon around 2pm until this afternoon around 2…nearly 24 hours. Our computer batteries were dead pretty soon and so we were left with whatever work we had that didn’t involve computers, or electricity. That wasn’t a whole lot! I read the readings in the chronological bible for March 1-5. After Bible reading, I went through my pictures and recited as much as I could remember without listening to Deepa’s recordings. I was impressed with how much I remembered!

After studying, Robin and I ate lunch. We had “hari-saag” which is grass. Oh my, it was one of the worst meals I’ve ever had to eat, probably in my entire life. Basically, I put it in my mouth and tried to get it down my throat without tasting it. Robin also didn’t like it. When Chachi asked us how it was, I told her, “strange.” We didn’t want to tell her we liked it, or even that it was okay. But to tell her it’s not good wouldn’t have been right either. “Strange” is a great word to describe something you don’t’ think is good, but can’t say is bad either. She understood what we meant and said, “I wont’ make ‘strange’ again.” I felt bad, but glad that she knows we don’t like it. Otherwise, it’s possible we’d have it every day!!! Once in a blue moon is okay…and yes, if we had it every day, we’d probably end up liking it….but I’m sure it would take a while!!!

After lunch, I went to Deepa’s for my language session. I can tell the steps it takes to make chai (18 steps!) and washing clothes (10 steps) in Kahani! I can tell it with all the different pronouns too!!! I’m impressed with myself and happy with my progress. I didn’t expect to learn that quickly…now I have to find more things to learn for the next week! (Picture - Deepa, Golu and me - studying Kahani!)

After that, Bea came over and I watched her jump rope for a little while. I swung the kids around in the air a few times. Then I decided to get the Frisbee out. They had no idea what to do with it! It was wonderful to be able to teach them and how much they seemed to enjoy it. They were pretty good too- catching it most of the time. I think these kids here are a lot less afraid of getting hurt than kids in America. I know they have a much higher tolerance for pain. It was nice to play with them!

Tomorrow I am going to fast again. The first time I fasted, I was somewhat in a cranky mood because I was so hungry. The second time I spent more time in prayer and the Word, and must say I that while I physically felt weak, I wasn't hungry at all…cool how that works huh?

No comments: