Monday, August 29, 2005

Missing home (Journal Entry)

Sometimes I wish I could just jump in a rickshaw or car and just go home for a few minutes. When Mommy tells me about Trisha, Rahul, Gajju, Sachin and Asmita coming over for dinner or helping them move, I just want to be back home. I am not necessarily “homesick”- I just want to be a part of things going on there- and with my friends and family. My family is going to Hatteras this coming week- I want to go. I wish that the phone call to my Mom wasn’t really a phone call from the other side of the world- I wish it was just the other side of the street- it is so clear it sounds like that. I should be thankful. I am. I just long sometimes to be back there- just for a day or two…
----------------------------------------------

Sunday’s sermon started out with an illustration of the London police. It was when there were the bombs had gone off in London. There was one man that looked suspicious and the police shot him. Later reports came out that he was from Brazil and most likely innocent. Thus the police shot an innocent man. The police forgot the rules but still had the privilege of being a policeman.

In the same way, we too forget our very own rule book, but still get the privilege of being called God’s children. The pastor challenged the congregation to remember the Bible and that when we forget/neglect to read the Bible, pray and mediate that we have forgotten who we are.

Wow. Forgotten who we are, but acting as if we know who we are, right? We take the privileges and blessings for granted, we act as if they are a right, as if we deserve them somehow.

The second point the pastor made was that when we forget the Word, we forget our responsibility as God’s children. Along with that the third point of when we forget the Word, we forget our mission. Can people around us tell that we are followers of Jesus or are the surprised when they find out?

What am I doing that makes me different from the rest of the world around me? And what am I doing in my private life that indicates that I’m a child of God? It’s not so much what others think, but what does God think when no one else is looking? Do I remember who I am during those times?

Lord, help me remember who I am- your child. Help me focus on you more and spent more time in your word.
------------------------------------
“Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter.” (Exodus 15:22-23).

How can I complain? I usually have water one or two hours a day…and I’m not even in a desert! Yet, the Israelistes did complain against Moses at this point.

“So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “What are we to drink?” Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet.” (Exodus 15:24-25)

Lord, you do sent sweet water- as needed. And you do send it when we ask you for it. It’s generally do to our lack of asking or lack of faith in asking that keeps it from coming! Of course, in your sovereignty, it’s not because of our prayer or no prayer that the water comes, but it seems you do bless us when we ask for it!

No comments: