Thursday, August 11, 2005

I'm happy to be here! (Journal Entry)

We’re here in M town…and I’ve realized I need to journal a lot more! Fortunately, I’ve only lost about a month- but a critical month. The first month here!

Right now, I think I’m very happy to be here! Strange to say, huh? Yes, I am happy to be here. On the trip to Nas town, we had so many complications and issues with getting there and such, but I made a comment in the jeep – after 24 hours or so in the train and at the station and stopping to change the tire, etc, etc…I said, “I’m so happy to be here, in India- it’s like a dream come true.” I really was so happy. I felt as if nothing could make me happier. I felt like I was right where I was supposed to be. It was wonderful.

I still feel that way, but must admit earlier today was missing home. Just for a few moments. Even yesterday when I was more sick than I am now, I didn’t feel really homesick- as I thought I would when I got physically sick. But today, I just started missing my friends and yes family too- and whenever I talk to Natalie I have tears in my eyes. I’m not sure how she would take it if I did start crying on the phone, but I think before too long, I will.

Below is an e-mail that I sent to my friends...It describes my feelings…
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Paltan….

So, I’m here, thinking of you and wondering, how is it that I’m here in your country and yet you’re not here? How is it that I’m studying your language, but you’re not here to talk to? How is it that I have reminders of you all around me, but it’s not the same as being with you? How is it that I’m eating your food, but when I look up from the dinner table, it’s not you I see. How is it that I’m wearing your traditional clothing, and then remember you back home wearing my traditional clothing! How is it that I’m riding crowded busses and rickshaws and you’re riding (And driving!) real cars- with air conditioning!

Having my best friends from the country I’m working in is not as easy as it seems. I think the preparation couldn’t have been better, yet since everything here is a constant reminder of all of you- I miss you that much more.

Anyway, I just wanted to write and say, it’s not yet been a month, but I do miss all of you lots. I did play Frisbee the other day with some Indians with the Frisbee I brought. We didn’t get into an ultimate Frisbee game, but just threw it around. It was great, but again, not the same. Not that I’m expecting it to be the same…it’s as if everything is so close to being the same, and yet then so far from it.

I hope you are all doing well – please let me know what’s going on, what surprise parties are coming up, who has moved, who started classes again and how are they, who is coming to India first… :)

~ Liz

No comments: