Sunday, August 7, 2005

On our own (Journal Entry)

I’m here in the next town where I’ll be for a month doing language learning. We arrived a few hours ago. It’s only 9pm, but feels like midnight. We traveled about 9 hours by taxi with all our luggage. Our driver was very nice, but didn’t speak much English at all. And, about halfway there, it seemed he was falling asleep! I tried to talk with him in Hindi to keep him awake! He assured me that he was okay, but I continued to talk and ask him questions. It was good practice for me too. Oh yes, our taxi didn’t have one of the back windows. And, like the last time, it started to rain. We just put a black trash bag over the window and all was fine.

In the taxi, Robin and I just sat there and both realized we were on our own! What a great feeling. Yet, this taxi driver could just take all our luggage and the two of us pretty much wherever and we wouldn’t be able to do much about it. I realized my own dependence on not only the taxi driver, but the Lord- especially when the taxi driver was falling asleep! I often think I can do so much. I can call and order the taxi, I can even communicate some in his language. But, once in the car- I have little control and can either become paranoid with the situation being out of my control, or trust the driver and more importantly, the Lord to get me to my destination.

Anyway, we arrived and were greeted by an English speaking girl from Switzerland. We were shown to our room- actually like a dorm room, but right now there aren’t any other people staying in that room. There are many other people here- a couple from Australia, a woman from France. Another couple from California. And a few others. Should be an interesting group!

No comments: