Saturday, August 20, 2005

Email Update

Short Version:
* Language Learning: “Learn the culture!”
* Expectations: “Have you forgotten what country you’re in?”
* One month Anniversary: “Where else would we get our shoes from?”
* 2 Pictures!

Language Learning
Today, my teacher explained an emphatic particle in Hindi “to” [pronounced ‘toe’]. It means “indeed, actually, in fact.” In a sentence it would read:

He gave an example:
Aap to aayie (you please come here).
However, he said that it is implied that something comes after that…such as:
(par aapka dost nahin- but not your friends)
Thus the whole thing would translate: “Indeed you come here, but not your friend.”
However, he said that generally the second part “but not your friend” is implied, but written or spoken. He said anything could be implied such as “but not your friend” or “not your umbrella” or “the dog” or whatever.
I asked, “How do you know what is implied and what’s not?”
He looked at me and said, “Ah, that’s the culture…you have to just learn the culture.”

Wow. What an exciting thing to think about…but also overwhelming! How can I ever come to know what is implied when there are so many possibilities!

Although it’s a lot to learn and we spend about 10 hours a days studying, I’m enjoying language learning very much! It’s so exciting to be able to communicate with those around me in their own language rather than waiting for them to figure things out in English. I still have a long way to go, so please keep praying for clarity while studying and also for boldness to make mistakes- as that will be the best way to learn!

“Have you forgotten what country you’re in?” (Altering Expectations)
This was an unspoken response to my question of “Is there anyone to call about the water?” We had not had water for approx. 30 hours at this point and so I was just wondering if there was something that could/should be done about it. But, you see if I had not expected to have water and we didn’t have it, I wouldn’t be disappointed! Thus, altering my expectations to meet my circumstances, can help adjust my attitude! [We did eventually get water back and now have it about 80% of the time, for which I am thankful!]

In my naya ghar (new home), I also need not expect hot water when I want it. Hot water is only available when the electricity is on (maybe 70% of the time?), and then you have to wait 20 minutes for it to heat up. But be sure to turn off the hot water heater before getting in the shower to reduce the risk of electric shock (which did happen to someone here!)

Still, in spite of these “inconveniences” I am still enjoying life here very much.

One Month Anniversary! Where else would we get our shoes from?
“Where else would we get our shoes from?” In a conversation with one of my language helpers we were talking about the shoemakers in the bazaar. I told her how cool it was that they will make shoes for you! She didn’t seem too impressed as she said, “Where else would we get our shoes from?” I realized that for her the shoemaker was not just a daily sight in the bazaar, but a real necessity! I tried to tell her that we have stores in America that sell shoes. She was still confused, so I said, “They are ‘ready-made’ shoes, like you have ‘ready-made’ clothes?” I am not sure she completely understood. Shoemakers…just another daily experience!

We have been here one month. One question that we often ask each other is “Where are we again?” In the past month, several situations caused us to ask this question. For example, this past week we went down to the bazaar- about a 45 minute walk down a very steep mountain. We noticed clothing shops, electric parts shops, food shops. We saw tailors, and shoemakers! We saw random video arcade places, a popcorn stand, Dominos pizza, a man with donkey taking kids for a ride, another man and donkey with vegetables in large sacks, etc, etc. We ate in a restaurant where we listened to English 80’s music. Yeah, where are we again? Sometimes, it’s hard to tell! And yet, walking along the street with us are the cows – oh yeah, we know where we are. :)

P&P
Praises:
* Safety to the town we are in now (including keeping our taxi driver awake on the way here!)
* Excellent training the past three weeks and good relationships with other M’s.

Please pry. For:
* Language learning: For perseverance- as we’re spending about 10 hours/day studying! (We’ll be here until Mid-Sept)
* Logistics of traveling to our people group in mid-Sept and tickets for our training in Thailand (the internet is so slow here, I have friends working on tickets from America for us!!!)

Below is a picture of the town where we live right now.


No comments: