Friday, August 19, 2005

Long email (email to Parents)


(it's monsoon seasons, so it's rainy and fogg here!)

Mommy and Daddy,

How are you? Wow, a whole week has gone by since I’ve talked to you I think! I thought you might call sometime this week and perhaps you have tried but couldn’t get through. “Koi baat nahin” (no worries), it’s okay. We’ve been swamped with Hindi stuff. I spend at least 9 or 10 hours a day studying. And still I don’t know the language!!! It’s getting better and I’m understanding more of the in’s and out’s and how the language works.

Asha, the girl who I’ve asked to come now everyday, is good for practicing the grammar stuff. It’s hard to know if I should just try and converse with her or ask her to help me practice the grammar stuff. We usually do a little of both. She is really nice, I am enjoying my time with her- she is 24 I think. I told her about my friends in America and how I miss them (I said all that in Hindi!). I would like to go to her home sometime and meet her family, her mother was in the hospital this past week for some reason (dirty water probably). Anyway, I pay her approx. $2.00/hour- which is a lot here, but is the going rate for private tutors. If I was going to stay here longer, I would make more of an effort just to get to know her and do more things with her. I may end up doing that anyway. I asked one of my teachers if he does private lessons- they are not supposed to, but some do. He said when he has time and that we could talk about it more next week. So, I may begin to do that also. I feel that my time is limited and I need to crunch as much in as I can. I can then apply it to life and such later. Evy and Bhagat (who work for the same group I do) who live in just 2 minutes away, said that it’s good to get as much grammar as you can while you’re here, because that is what they are good at, and the practical application stuff will come. I’m trying to do both as much as I can, but it’s not always easy.

We went to the Indian Independence Day at the school on Monday. (we did not have regular classes). It was enjoyable, but funny. The Indians gave speeches in English, the students (American, or other countries) gave speeches in Hindi! One said something in French! Cool! We then went to Evy’s house and talked with her for a long time about misc. stuff in this city and in this country. It was nice to talk with her and hear her perspective on things and also see her home- it was “quaint”- that’s the best word I can think of to describe it. I would say beautiful, clean and big- but here that means a completely different thing than it would in America. For here, it was those things.

They had just gotten back from Delhi (oh yeah, Vivian decided to stay in Delhi to do the more “immersion” style of language learning, where we have more grammar- it will be interesting to see who has learned more! Anyway, Evy and Bhagat (fyi: Evy is from Hong Kong, but lived in Canada and grew up there for the most part- but is now married to Bhagat, who is Indian). They brought back a “Dehumnidifier” from Delhi. Evy said, “Well, you just get used to wiping mold off your wall every day, but it will be nice to not have to do it as much now!” Everything here is damp, but not too bad. The sun has come out 3 of the 14 days we’ve been here and it’s so beautiful when it does come out. Oh, it poured rain one day as I was getting ready to go to class. I used my waterproof boots and my rain jacket (wow, that was more than $300 worth of stuff on my body!!!). I had Aunt Bonnie’s umbrella too, but the jacket and boots were GREAT! And, I’ve been wearing those “teva” sandles that Gajju had recommended just about every day (With or without socks), and I’ve used the sleeping bag they have me a lot too- for padding! :) I need to write another thank-you note to them for all that!

Not much else is new…Honestly, we spend most/all our time studying. We do eat and sleep, but not much else. We watched a Hindi movie one night and an American movie one night. The kids here have stopped crying at night, so we’ve been sleeping better. They get up pretty early, 6:30, and are talking and whining, but its okay. There is another girl coming to stay in our room for 4-5 days (?). She was supposed to come last Sunday apparently, but hasn’t come yet- she is supposed to come today. We’ll see. We have had water 90% of the time this week, so that’s been very good. We are both feeling 99% well also- I’m not sure you can feel 100% here…? Haha, I pretty much feel 100% actually…for which I’m thankful.

We are going to Dominos with David and Ginny tomorrow! Yes, there is one at the bottom of the hill (approx. 45 minute walk). We plan to do internet and a little shopping on the way down. I want to get some warm/woolen Indian suits to wear, since I only have one with me and when we come back from Thailand, it will be cold- and we are supposed to mainly wear suits in Almora. The sun did come out today so I took off my sweatshirt and had a short sleeve shirt on- and was still hot! The weather is very predictable here- in that you should be prepared for everything and expect anything!

We will probably go to a different church this week- I think it might be another Methodist one, but I’m not sure. It’s the one that I went to with Ginny when I was here before. I can’t imagine how my college student friends hop around to so many different churches. I mean there is some excitement about going to a new place, but how can you really connect with anyone? Not that we are trying to connect with anyone here since we’re only here for a short time, but still…

So what is happening back home? It’s hard to imagine how far away I am sometimes. It’s so beautiful here though- I keep thinking about when you will come to visit me!!! :) Have you started school yet? What is Jennifer doing? Did she make out okay working at the apartments? Did lessons start back up again for the year? Did the violin group have a pool party at the house recently? How did that go? I hope you are doing well! I miss you!

Love ya!

~ Elizabeth

No comments: