Sunday, July 16, 2006

Fishing....and culture shock (Email to Parents)

(an email to parents from where I went on vacation)

The weather has NOT turned around, in fact it's gotten worse...lots of rain. But, what to do...

I'm taking a fishing boat this afternoon over to this island, will go around it and check it out.

Oh, the "ocean/beach" here is NOTHING like Hatteras. Honestly, it's like a 1 on a scale of 1-10 in comparison. But it's still the beach, I can't see the other side of the water, which is something I think I like best thing about the beach...I guess I like wide, open spaces... :)

The food here has been great. My trip into the town went well- only made one wrong turn getting there, drove back in turrential downpour. But it stopped half way back and beacuse I was driving the motorbike, I was dry by the time I got back- like a drive-through bike-wash-dryer, without the soap...haha...

My time in town was okay- experienced complete culture shock by being able to stand in one place and see a Baskin Robins, Swensons (a really good ice cream place), starbucks, and the Pizza Company (a terrific pizza place)...and everything was clean. I could only stay for about an hour, then had to leave. I'm not sure if I can handle this going between poverty and wealth, and the attitudes that going along with each place. I think I'll try and do some relfecting on all of that, because in this line of work, that going back and forth between places may never end....

I tried to take a nap on the beach yesterday (even though there were black clouds in the sky- I came here to do that, so I did!!!). I was the only one there- how nice and private!! :) There are some amazing hermit crabs and ghost crabs here- millions of them, but tinier than the smallest ones in NC...

I think I might go rent a bike....funny, how it's supposed to be a "vacation" but I can't stop doing all the activities here!

Love ya,
~ Elizabeth

No comments: