Saturday, July 22, 2006

Best dad ever! (Email to parents)

Hey…

I’m going to bed, but wanted to check in and say, hey. Things are going well. I had an AWESOME time playing ultimate Frisbee tonight- actually, was perhaps one of the best games I’ve played…I really missed Curt, Janna and Jimmy on the field, but there were lots of people- and it was just a lot of fun…

Anyway, you know, Daddy- I really miss you tonight. Yeah…Playing Frisbee, you should have seen me- you would have been like, “You know what- that is my daughter, and I’m so proud of her!” – I mean, I act JUST LIKE YOU…I’m not trying to brag or anything, I mean it’s not my fault, I have the world’s most coolest dad ever… the most encouraging, and supportive and fun, and uplifting…I could go on and on!

Like you, I was the “encourager” on the field….cheering my team on: “Ok, let’s get the next one guys (yeah, my team was all guys)” - Or “That’s okay, we’re gonna get that right back…they’re startin’ to get nervous….” Just tons of stuff like that- that I’ve learned from watching you. I think it made everyone enjoy it a lot more. I did, anyway!

But I thought about it afterwards, and I really miss you, Dad. I can’t wait until you come visit! Not only so I can say whatever comes to my mind to you – because you do the same thing! Even silly things like, “look at that green grass, over there- it’s really green isn’t it?” – I CAN say that kind of stuff with you- and you’ll respond with something like, “Yeah, you know what, you’re right- that is green, and grass, wow!!” And so far, I’ve yet to find someone who does that, just marvels at the obvious- and isn’t being completely sarcastic and making fun of what I said- since to “normal” people it’s just totally obvious and really not that exciting.

I know that when you come, we might not be able to get an ultimate Frisbee game going, but there will be an attitude of, “hey- you know what, that’s okay, it’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game..” – It’s important to HAVE FUN.

I don’t know- tonight was just one of those nights I wished you were here too…..
At dinner, I also had a few moments of thinking, “This is so strange: getting together with these people (Jeff, Jacob, Sean, Jim, Eric, Tina, Robin)- and acting as if they are my long lost friends, and best friends, but I’ve only seen them a few times. It’s hard to explain in words. But I experience it a lot, maybe at least every other day, here in Thailand. It’s just strange. We’re all of the sudden great friends, but then we leave and who knows when we’ll see some of them again. I don’t know, it’s something to get used to in this line of work I guess- but it’s just strange, I think…normal, but weird, but good, hmm, I’m not sure how I feel about it….

Anyway, tomorrow we have half day of stories, then the afternoon off- probably will do a little more shopping for friends at home.

The boil I had is healing nicely, much less pain….oh the weird things that happen to your body in Asia!

I hope all is well there- I love you and miss you….
~ Elizabeth

No comments: