Friday, January 20, 2006

Story characters and love langauges (Journal Entry)

I tried to learn words for “Story characters” today. I didn’t attempt it with Deepa, I started with the kids first. They knew “king,” “queen,” “fairy,” and “ghost.” I asked Jyoti what “Spirit” was and she didn’t know. Bicky came out and he also couldn't understand my description in Hindi. We came up with the word “invisible” and “blind” but not spirit. Bicky said he would look in the English-Hindi dictionary tonight when he went up to the dukan (shop) tonight. He sleeps up there most nights and comes back during the day.

Today, I asked Jyoti if I could make parathas, because I was hungry. We technically aren’t supposed to be in their cooking area or even make food (because we aren't from their caste), but Jyoti and Bicky said Bicky could. Bicky said he would make it, but I insisted saying I wanted to learn, etc. So, I kneaded the flour and water together for about 15 minutes. After that I made little balls of dough and rolled them out into flat circles. I started the gas stove, and got the pan out (called a “tow”). I didn’t really know what to do after that! Bicky came in and showed me what to do. His looked a lot better than mine, but after about 10, mine looked just like his!!

While we were making them, Jyoti kept telling us to be quiet, she didn’t want her mom to know that we were in the kitchen and had made them. After we made them, we ate them outside- they really tasted pretty good- I was impressed with our initial attempt at a paratha!!! Bicky came out and I told him to try one. He said no…and he eventually said, “I’m Brahmin, so I can’t eat it…don’t be mad or anything…but…they other people can’t see that I would eat with you, or eat food that you eat. It's okay for Jyoti because she’s younger, but not for me.”

Again, interesting. If they don’t eat the food we make, will they listen to the stories we tell? Hmm. How can we gain the status needed for a good reputation? I don’t know if it’s possible...Again, I’m not sure I have that much faith!!!

-----LATER-----
Robin is reading “The 5 Love Languages” and told me that hers is “quality time.” I realize that is really true. She told me that when we don’t spent some time together during the day, she feels something is missing. She realizes that some days that just doesn’t happen for whatever reason, and that’s okay… I told her my love language is primarily words of affirmation.

We had actually had this conversation two days ago and today she said, “Ever since you told me that your love language is words of affirmation, I’ve been trying to figure out how to affirm you- and can’t seem to do it!!!” I told her that if you’re love language isn’t the one of the other person, it’s hard to do!!! I told her that I could really care less about “quality time.” We laughed about it, and I think realized that we have opposite love languages – and thus it’s not natural for us to show love to each other since we don’t really appreciate what the other one values. Yet, we’ve made it thus far! We'll keep working on it!

No comments: