Thursday, January 12, 2006

Day 3 - In the field...(Journal Entry)

Today, I woke up around 3am and then again at 6am. Robin was up- she had been feeling sick during the night and hadn’t slept until 5am. She ended up being in bed all day, though she is feeling better now.

I spent about an hour or so studying as well as time reading God’s word. I watched life happen around me, including the sun rise over the mountains. The gas cylinder ran out today, and so this morning Anju, Joyti and I tried to call Bicky with Robin’s and my cell phones. He was at the shop on the road on the mountain- which we can see from the village, but it takes an hour to get there walking. They wanted to call and see if he could bring another gas cylinder. The phones weren’t working at first, but then they did. In the process, I nearly fell off the roof! I stepped on what looked like part of the roof, but apparently it wasn’t and it gave way. I caught myself fortunately and quickly got to a more stable part of the roof. Chachi (aunty) later told me, “if you don’t know where is a good place to step and don't know what will happen if you go there, ask.” I wouldn’t have fallen very far, there is a wood pile down below- it would have hurt, but I would have been okay, most likely!

Anyway, after sitting around for most of the morning, studying, checking on Robin and trying to converse with whoever walked by, I ate lunch (one of two meals during the day), and then went to Deepa’s for a language session. It was…okay. For a first language session, it was probably wonderful, but I’ll say about 40 out of about 45 minutes were frustrating, but the 5 minutes that were good were a good start. She seems patient enough, so should be okay. She talked a lot more and I couldn’t understood most of it, but I think once she realizes we can’t respond and just don’t know much, she’ll talk less, perhaps. One good thing is that her first response to explain something is in Kahani rather than Hindi, like Anju- so that’s good. Even though we can’t understand it, at least we’ll have less interference with Hindi- hopefully.

After coming back ‘home’ – I sat with Anju and Deepa for a while, trying to share what I had learned. Then Joyti had to take something to the ‘ket’ (pronounced ‘kate’ and means ‘field’) and she asked if I wanted to go with her. I did- wow, it was an interesting rasta (path) to get there! Once there, we watched Chachi and Chacha plant onions. As we were there, more and more woman came down to plant them- all sitting in a row, planting. I think I got a few good pictures. While there still wasn’t a whole lot to do down in the ket, it was a nice change of scenery. There was a lot more wind down there too for some reason. On our way back, we saw Bicky caring something on his head! I took a video of that!

I came back and played with the kids while listening to Deepa talk with Anju and while Anju ground up some white stuff for pujas- for rangoli. Then I washed my feet from being in the fields with all the miti (dirt/dust). Robin came out of her room and we talked for a while and ate some apples. She’s feeling better, her head hurts and she’s tired, but her stomach is okay, which is good.

Then I went upstairs and watched Anju put some white paste stuff in lines on the mandir (temple). She said it was for a festival two days from now. I watched in silence for a while, and looked around at the pictures of various gods and things used in their pujas. It didn’t seem as if the rangoli was an actual part of the puja- it seemed more of a fun thing to do. Even Joyti came in and I asked her what the stone was in the mandir- she said it was a coconut that they use in pujas, but she laughed because I thought it was a stone.

Anyway, I’m sitting here now- Robin and I are typing on our computers, waiting for nightfall when we can sleep again! The past few days have honestly been pretty boring. I’m not sure how to fill the time. I can only take so much language at once, yet I do feel I could be doing more. I did more today, and will try and continue to do more, even when I just don’t feel like it. I want to go around and visit people and try to speak with them- I think that will help a lot, though it will take a little more courage on my part! (the picture below is of the smoke filled mud kitchen!)

I pray that we both persevere and not give up in living here- I pray that we continue to laugh about things that normally might make us cry. I pray that we continue to encourage each other and not encourage a negative attitude in each other.

I did get to talk to Mommy today- what a special treat! The phone worked, and we got to talk for a long time! It was nice mainly to know that our phones work. Of course, just because my phone worked then doesn’t mean it will work in the future- but either way, at least it worked once! Mommy was also very encouraging about our work here and to press on and keep looking for opportunities…While she doesn’t know a whole lot about our lives here, it was good to talk to her and hear her thoughts on things…I’m thankful for that phone call!!!

No comments: