Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Day 2 - I got a bed! (table) (Journal Entry)

It was much the same as yesterday…except I got a bed, ahem, I mean ‘table,’ to sleep on! Bicky (the son) and his friend brought it down from the store they own near the road. It is a table, but no worries, I can use it to sleep on- just throw a few blankets on it, and "bas" (enough), it’s good to go! We’ll see…I don’t think it will be much different from the floor, except it’s a foot higher…

While it may not be the most comfortable to sleep on, it does make me feel like I have my own space which I didn’t realize how nice it would be to have until I didn’t have it. It would have been fine to continue folding up my bed, but I must say, having this little space that’s “mine” is nice…I hope my back feels the same when it’s time to sleep…

Robin and I also went to Deepa’s house today for a “language session” – haha, it was pretty interesting. First of all, we ate lunch late, and thus we were late going to her house and so she didn’t really have much time. Robin attempted to review some pictures with her and it ended up that four women stood around all saying what they thought Robin was trying to learn. She was confused and frustrated, but we decided it was a good first step.

I shared that part of me wants to have a language session just like we’ve been having, and wants things to go smoothly…but language sessions and people aren’t going to just line themselves up for us or fall in our laps. I mean, this might not even be the best village for us to be in! Basically, language learning, and culture learning isn’t just going to happen by itself. Since Anju is here with us, I feel dependent on her and as if she will introduce us to people and arrange our language stuff for us. And she has to some extent, but I’m convinced, we need to take more initiative. Of course, the other thing is that there is always a go-between-person in this culture. So how will that work out when Anju leaves (Tomorrow!). Hmm…we shall see.

The sun was out today, it was nice to sit outside- I even got hot! I had to eat the lemon stuff again today- Robin was there, but didn’t try it…I took three bites today, as opposed to my one bite yesterday. The best description I can give to this stuff they consider a special treat is ‘dog food.’

Anyway, I’m tired now and my head hurts. I continue to wonder how language and culture learning is going to happen. Goodness, if we’re having trouble with that, how will stories ever be told? I’m convinced it will take a miracle. There is no other way.

God, you have put me here in this work either to show me that you are more awesome than I ever thought, or to show me that I’ve made a mistake in how I’ve decided to spend these two years. Only time will tell what is to come. I’m glad that you, Lord, know the future- and no matter what, you are with me, with us, in this journey and work.

No comments: