Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Day 9 - Sick?

Today, I woke up around 3am, a little sick, but didn’t want to get up. I wasn’t sure if I just had to go the bathroom or if it was something else. By the time I got up around 7:30, it was something else. I went to the bathroom and got sick. I felt better afterwards, but still a little uneasy. I studied with Bicky and two other little boys for about an hour- they completed my list of opposites for me. It was interesting because as Bicky was trying to write out the Kumaoni for some of the words, he said, “Talking in Kumaoni is easy, but writing is hard- I don’t know how!” He knows how to write Hindi and he wrote the Kumaoni words in Hindi script which is what I do- but he had never written Kumaoni before, since there is no need for it in an oral community! It was a little inspiration that the oral stories, rather than written stories will be welcomed in this community. At least the form would be welcomed- who knows about the content!!!

After studying, we had lunch. It was good- kicherdi (mix of rice and daal). I nearly finished it, but my stomach was feeling a little sick, so I didn’t eat the last little bit. After that we went to Deepa’s for our language session.

I got sick three times so far today, I’m not sure what it’s from. Robin got sick this morning, so at first I thought perhaps it was just the meal we had the night before that both of our stomach’s didn’t like. But since I’m still sick, I’m not sure. I feel a little warm now, in spite of the cold air- perhaps I have a temperature. It’s at times like this that I wonder how those first M’s did it- in the backwoods, in the jungles with those crazy diseases!!! True, we are prone to some of those same diseases, but have more precautions and medications than they had then. I’m really feeling fine- even jumped rope a few times with Jyoti this afternoon, but now am again not feeling so wonderful.

I told Robin this morning I feel about 93% okay. Then I said, “That is, if you can ever feel 100% in India! I guess at any given time, the most you could feel is about 70%, so given that, I probably feel about 65%.

No comments: