Wednesday, January 18, 2006

New story-crafters? (Journal Entry)

I talked to the girls who help us with back-translation (taking the Kahani stories and putting them into English) today about doing a story themselves. The one doesn’t really speak Kahani. But the other one does. I played the David and Bathsheba story twice for her and she retold just about every detail back in Kahani. It wasn’t in Kumaoni style or fashion…and was more memorized than telling a story. But, I think it’s something we can work with- plus, like in the beginning with Anita, it was AWESOME that she had such a great memory. It’s a strength in this work…

My plan is to go to the village tomorrow—I need to re-work Beginning with Ganga…I then want to try and start the David and Goliath story- including when Samual anoints David. It’s actually a lot longer and more involved than I thought it would be. Anyway, it will be Ganga’s first time crafting a NEW story- so that will tell a lot how she will do in the future. I then hope to MAYBE try the same story with the lady who lives next door sometime this weekend- Saturday maybe when I get back from the village (if I end up staying overnight). I’ll have all the words in my mind, so it won’t be as difficult. I’m not sure if she’ll even want to attempt it…but I can try.

Then, the Hema and Geetu (Heather and Gina) girls might come on Sunday- I will try and do it with them. Of course, ideally, we would talk about the story, discuss various things, then the next day maybe tell it and record it. But, I might try to get Ganga, the lady next door, and Heather to go ahead and tell it – and see what comes out in each retelling…and then ask just a few people how they like each one, who tells the best story- etc…

It is a lot of work up front- but might help me see with whom it will be easies to craft a story. I’m saying all this, but don’t know if any of it will happen.

Anyway, I need to go- Robin has some stuff for me to look at and I need to prepare for working with Ganga tomorrow- I really hope that happens. Her engagement is on Tuesday. I’ll be going back for that occasion. I pray that You, Lord will help me accomplish all you want me to tomorrow. I also pray that Ganga learns something through this process and whatever stories we end up working on. I pray that she sees you in me, I pray that you would help me see if it’s too much work to craft stories with her, or if that’s what you want me to do- please help my attitude be one of “Whatever you want”

Lord…You know how tired I’m feeling of this work, and even of these people…and trying to communicate complicated ideas in another language…yet- I don’t want to “take the easy way out” by crafting with girls who can speak English. I also don’t want the money factor to be an issue…please give me wisdom in all these things.

No comments: