Saturday, September 10, 2005

Update Sept 10 05 (Email Update)

Short Version:

* 7 modes of transportation in one day!
* Visiting my friend!
* Visiting my students!
* Visiting other M’s- a good encouragement!
* “Back in the saddle (or train!) again!- 5 days til we reach our people!
* P&P

Longer Version:

How Many Modes of Transportation Can I take in One Day?
By foot, by jeep, by public bus, by car, by vikrum, by rickshaw, by bus again, by taxi! This past weekend, I went down to the town where I was two years ago completing my student teaching. By the end of the day, I had traveled by 7 different modes of transportation! I’ll briefly explain the bus ride.

First, I started out walking down (a good 45 minute walk) to the bus station). A friend stopped in his jeep and asked if I wanted a ride, so I clambered in the back. I reached the bus station, purchased my ticket and got on the bus. I sat near the front, but after I sat down realized that there were holes in the bottom of the bus! Right through the metal- it was sort-of like a bottomless rollercoaster- you could watch the road passing beneath you while you rode along! Cool! I reached the town and had learned from a previous bus ride that when you want to get off, you get out of your seat and move to the door. I did just that, however, the driver still did not stop- and there was a man behind me also wanting to get off. He kind-of motioned for me to go ahead and get off- but the bus was still moving! Finally, I kind-of jumped off and somewhat lost my balance while at the same time looked to my left and there was a motor scooter and a bike approaching me from about 2 feet away! I think my lack of balance kind-of caused me to fall forward (not to the ground), just a few steps forward and just barely missing them as they passed behind me! Phew! I learn something new every time I’m on the bus- next time, I’ll look before leaping off!

Visiting a Friend…
I was able to fist meet my friend’s family- a friend who goes to my University in Delaware and whose sister went to the school here in South Asia that I taught at two years ago! When I was here before, I had meals with her family weekly and so it was nice to be back “home” again- as close as home as I can get!

Visiting my Students!
I was also able to visit my 45 third graders (who are now fifth graders!). They were so cute and had gifts (their own pens and pencils!) and cards for me! They wrote a little note on the board and took a picture- see below! I do miss them and am thankful that I was able to see them again. It was good to be in another place that felt very close to home.

Visiting Other M’s
In addition to my students, I was able to spend time with other M’s that I worked with when I was here before- discussing my project and listening to them give advice for language learning and the area in which I’ll be working. One of them even told me where to get an amazing story book created for the South Asian people- in English and in their main language. I was able to buy it at the xtian book store and look forward to using it.

Back on the Train Again
This coming Thursday, September 15th, we leave this town and go by taxi, then overnight train, then taxi again to our “final destination.” I’m so excited about it, yet realize that it is going to an interesting travel experience since we have more luggage now than before and will have less space on the train since we are taking one class lower than we have before. It is a huge pryr request that we get to the train on time, get our luggage on board and that none of it gets stolen during the night, and that we reach safely, get our stuff to a taxi and that the taxi can take us safely to our new home. We will actually be staying in a guesthouse or with a family until we find a more permanent place to live. Two other girls will be traveling with us- both of whom will be working in the same area.

I’ll write again once I get to our people group and once we figure out internet options. They will be limited and I’m not sure how soon we’ll be able to set things up. If I don’t respond to your e-mails, it’s because I didn’t get them or can’t get them…but please don’t stop sending them! It’s a blessing to hear from home and what God is doing in your life.

Praises:
* 6 weeks of language classes have gone very well.
* Health- Except for being a little sick when we first got to language school, Robin and I have both been 100% healthy.
* Internet- a friend of ours let us use her phone to connect and we’ve been able to have a much faster connection- still slower than U.S.A, but fast for here! Believe me, it’s a big praise!
* Receiving e-mails from you! Thank you for writing and for your encouragement!
* Language Helper- A girl has been meeting with me nearly every other day for language practice and since she’s close to my age, I think of her as my friend also- I told her I enjoy Indian dancing, and she has invited us to her home tomorrow to do just that! I’m so excited! It’s a praise not only because I enjoy that aspect of the culture, but also because she has been a good friend for me while we’re here.

Prayer:
* Safety for traveling to our people group.
* Last week of classes- my teachers want me to finish the book which is normally done in 3 months- pray that I don’t get overloaded and forget everything!
* Getting settled in our new place (including internet/phone and mainly finding a place to live!)

Thank you for your support and prayrs!

~ Elizabeth
“By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.” Exodus 13:21

No comments: