Wednesday, September 28, 2005

SPIDER!! (Journal Entry)

“Uncle Ji! Bada spider hai!” (Uncle, there is a big spider!). So, every night this week I’ve encountered a LARGE spider (room, bathroom, etc). One night last week, I prepared myself as I went to the bathroom (located outside the house) to find a spider awaiting me as usual. Since the door was closed, I somehow figured that maybe there wouldn’t be one inside- I was wrong. I turned on the light and there were two, HUGE spiders on the wall! I wasn’t sure exactly what to do- I jumped back, nearly falling off the little step next to the bathroom and cried, “Uncle Ji, do bade spider bathroom men hain!”

He came out, I went into my room, and started laughing and crying at the same time. Robin asked if I was okay, and I basically had a moment of, “I can’t handle this!!!” About 10 minutes later dinner was ready and the family we’re living with was asking me questions about the spiders, etc. Before I knew it, I was crying at the dinner table- with the Indian family all standing there watching me and asking if I was okay. Few times in my life I’ve not been able to control my emotions, this was one of those times! I felt like screaming “Ahhh! What’s wrong with me- I can’t take it anymore!”

We’re not sure why God is allowing us the privilege of meeting this special creation of his so many times (three in one night too!). If you ask me, once is more than enough.

I called me mom a little later to tell her about the spiders, she calmly told me: “Next time you go to the bazaar, buy a fly swatter. You do just need to learn to co-exist with them.” I tried to explain how big they are and how quick they move, yet the more I tried to explain, the more I realized she has no idea of what my life is like here, which led me to a whole different set of emotions!


No comments: