Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Housing Options and EXCITEMENT! (Journal Entry)

See part of Irene’s e-mail below…
Now the options.
1. there is a family living one minute away from us where both Liza and Angela have stayed. We checked and the room is empty. They are most likely willing to let two girls stay there. We gave them time to think, and maybe they want to see the people first. But we don’t expect them to say no. Staying there means your own (shared) room, with a private entrance, but taking your meals with the family. You will share the bathroom with the family. Angela had a good experience there. The family speaks both Hindi and Kumauni. They have two school age children. The parents are at home most of the time. They will enjoy talking to you and it will be a good language learning situation as well as cultural. The room is not furnished though they may be able to provide a bed, and we could lend you a mattress and bedding. We think previously we paid 500 rs per week, including food.
-------------------
So this is where we’ll be staying, at least that’s what where we said we would stay. We’ll be staying here until we find something else. I’m thrilled. I was hoping this would work out! I’m thinking, ‘let’s stay here for 2 years!’ Haha. I don’t know what I’m getting myself into, that’s for sure. But either way, I’m so psyched about it! I can’t write in words how I feel right now. Tomorrow we’ll be on a train heading for our “final destination.” There is a family waiting for us where we can live, eat and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE! The excitement is too much to handle. I’m not sure Robin feels the same, and I wish somehow I could share the excitement with her. There are still many unknowns, but we’ve come this far with a lot of unknowns and are still alive! Anyway, it’s so exciting to think about just getting there, beginning to live and work and meet people. Wow!!! I’m so excited! This is why I’m here after all, isn’t it?

I’m trying not to have too many expectations. We had a prayer time at Evy’s house and I prayed that instead of having expectations we would just expect God to do whatever He was going to do and to lead and guide us. Like the quote, “Expect great things from God.” I think that’s the attitude I’m going to pray for. Rather than expect things from the culture, the people, I’ll try my best to expect things from God- whatever that manes. In a way, since He always has my best in mind, I’ll never be disappointed! Of course, sinful nature will set in and I may not “agree’ with something He does or how he works, but trusting in Him and expecting Him to work I think will prove more satisfying that expecting certain things from the culture.

Hmm. I would like to find some verses about expecting God to work, and trusting in Him to work and not relying on the world. Perhaps the whole Bible is about that…

During prayer time, it was encouraging to hear Robin pray for the Kahani people and about the first story that may be told by the first story-teller and though we don’t know when that will be, how exciting it is to think about and how the stories could influence the people there. She prayed about how we ourselves may or may not be instrumental in achieving this, but that's okay becuase God is still working. That word, “Achieving” somehow attributes success to something we’ve done. That isn’t what she meant when she prayed and not what we hope. We are so blessed to be a part of this work, and just to see what’s going on in this part of the world. If God would so choose to use us in some way to further his kingdom here, I think that at that moment, I could say my life would be overflowing with joy. Of course, it is already overflowing- can it overflow more? Am I ready for the excitement and joy ahead of me? In the same breath, am I ready for the frustrations and disappointments?

I don’t want to go in blindly, Lord. Help me to use my excitement in a positive way and to not ignore the issues or problems around me- be they with the people, or food, or whatever. Thank you for guiding me thus far and giving me a passion for these people that only increases day by day. It could only come from you. Please use it for your glory.

No comments: