Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Monkey in our room! (Robin's story)

Robin wrote up this story to send to some of her friends...

A few days ago I was in my room getting ready to go to class. I kept hearing a weird noise, but just figured it was in the next room or outside. As I stoop up to grab my stuff to go class I realized the sound I was hearing was cloth ripping & it was coming from inside our room. “Great, I’m going to have to stay here & figure out what kind of small animal got into our room & I’m going to be late for class.” I turn around & look up and there is a monkey on top of the shelf tearing up the blanket that’s up there. He had figured out how to open the window in our room (he’s pretty smart, we haven’t figured out how to do that yet).

I didn’t know what to do, so I stood there staring at it and it stares back. I don’t know if you’ve ever had a monkey looking you in the eye, but its really really freaky!! Then I tried to remember where my camera was so I could take a picture (what else would you do if you had a monkey in your room?). I think it was in my suitcase, but I didn’t want to turn my back on the monkey to find it & I also remembered a story about a guy who tried to take a picture of a monkey close up one time & it freaked the monkey out, so all the monkeys started attacking the guy. Then I remember one of my friends telling me a monkey came into his house last week & all he did was say “Get out of here” and it left. So I tried it. It didn’t work.

I kind of waved my hand toward it to get it to leave. Instead of leaving he came towards me. This monkey is about 8 feet away from me. Monkeys are very fast animals so I knew that it would only take like half a second for him to jump on me. I told it to leave a few more times & it didn’t work. Then I decided I would try to go find someone who might know what to do. I found one girl who lives here & told her. So she & I came back to my room & stood in the hallway looking at it telling it to leave. It just sat there taunting us. Then another woman came upstairs, we told her about the monkey, so she joined us in the hallway and we tried to figure out what to do. Then her husband came upstairs & took care of the situation (not that he really knew what to do). Another girl came up & said we should throw rocks at it.

Ok, so I don’t know about you, but here in this house we don’t really just keep rocks randomly laying around. So the guy finds some magazines and throws that at the monkey. The monkey starts for the window, but at the last second turns around & comes towards us again. So the guy throws another one. This time the monkey leaves & then turns around to close the window. Great! It’s over. Now we just have to figure out how to secure the window to keep the monkeys from coming in again. But wait, the monkey opens the window up & comes in again. So what do we do, throw another magazine at it! So he keeps going in & out and taunting us for a while. Then eventually he does go out long enough for us to properly close the window. As of right now we think/hope that it’s closed good enough to keep the monkeys out. Maybe we should keep rocks in our room just in case, or a gun—that would come in handy when the dog is barking at 4 am as well.

No comments: