Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hello From "Kahan" (Email to Parents)

Hey Mommy and Daddy,

We arrived in A.

Not without a lot of hassle- more than you can imagine- including staying from 2am to 6am in a train station which was totally unplanned. Oh goodness, I can’t even begin to write the story. We’ve not had power since 5am, so I’m using my computer sparingly- plus Robin needs to use it. I’m not sure when power will come back on.

The family we were supposed to live with isn’t ready for us- long story- anyway, Monday we hope to move in with them. We did go to see the room- it’s great, better than where we had been staying in Mussoorie- but keep in mind, by now our expectations are REALLY LOW.

Anyway, we’re all here at the Worker's home- it’s also meeting our LOW EXPCTATIONS quite nicely.

We’re all healthy- though I had chocolate and biscuits (meaning- cracker-cookie type things) for the three meals while traveling, but we’ve had substation food and are all feeling 99% or better I’d say. It’s cold and rainy here, pray health wise that we don’t get colds. Irene has a pretty bad cold, pray for her health.

We talked this morning about our living options which basically kind-of decided that having a base in A. but traveling to the villages to stay for 2-3 weeks at a time would be best for storying and the K. language. Of course, although rustic, I’m sure even Karsten’s and Irene’s home will be a palace compared to village life. Village means no phone, no internet- though they do have electricity…when India has electricity- and as I said, we haven’t had it here for the past 7 or 8 hours.

This is so much more the real India than I’ve ever been in before. I love it!!!!!

I will write more later- when we have more “stable” electricity! :)

Thanks for your prayers- though our journey was incredible, we did make it and are doing well….

Love you!

~ Elizabeth
P.S. I SHOULD be able to get a phone number on Monday- we started the process today….we’ll see how long it takes. Honestly, if I get it on Monday, that would be a record….

No comments: