Monday, September 26, 2005

Exodus (Journal Entry)

Exodus 4:1-2
Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘the Lord did not appear to you?” Then the Lord said to him, “What is in your hand?”
“A staff,” Moses replied.

Notice how God does not directly answer his question? He rather poses another question which will in turn provide the answer Moses is looking for. God does not argue or provide explanations, He simply helps Moses to realize the answer is in His hands! God knows what He is doing!

What is in my hand? How have you, Lord, already equipped me for Thy service? What excuses am I giving you where you have already provided the answer- in my hands!? Help me not to miss the answer and provision when I offer up my excuses and complaints!

Exodus 4:3-4
“…Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snack, and he ran from it. Then the Lord said to him, ‘Reach out your hand and take it by the tail.’ So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into the staff in his hand.”

Moses was initially afraid of the thing that would help him. Yet, in verse 4, he does listen and obey God by taking it by the tail. Also, God again here does not address Moses fear directly. When Moses runs away, it’s not that God says, “Wait, come back.” He simply gives him the next command. He doesn’t fool around or allow foolishness of not trusting in Him! He is patient, but firm and gives Moses the task he can handle.

Exodus 4:10-17
Moses continues to give God excuse after excuse and finally God does become angry with him for not believing, not trusting (“Who gave man his mouth?”). And after God tells Moses he will allow Aaron to go with him, God reminds Moses, “But take this staff in your hand so you can perform miraculous signs with it.” It’s almost like Moses has forgotten the three miracles that God has just shown Him already! God has to remind him about it!

Am I any different? I wonder why my prayers aren’t answered, not taking time to reflect on how many prayers have been answers and how many times I’ve neglected to pray, but still God has answered prayers that I should have prayed! Sometimes I wonder what God is doing and forget to think about the times He has worked in the past- thinking something is impossible for me, thus impossible for God too. How forgetful I am of His faithfulness and goodness to His people- including me!

No comments: