Friday, November 24, 2006

Update from Family's Visit

Update- November 24, 2006

Short Version:

“I wouldn’t trade this for a 5-star hotel” (Family Visit)
Back to work…
P & P

“I wouldn’t trade this for a 5-star hotel”
In spite of our “squatty-potty,” bucket bath, and other things may have not been the most comfortable, this was the statement my mom made as we walked to our house helper’s village.

My family started out in Thailand, overlapping with some of my training- which gave them opportunity to meet some of the trainers, and several of my friends. We then headed to my home in “Kahan” where in addition to visiting a village, we also spent time meeting our story-crafters, back-translators and other friends. Being able to see, hear, smell, and taste where I live was an experience I’m sure they will never forget, and one that I’m so glad I was able to share with them.

Picture: In our house helper’s village



Back to work…
I travel via train and bus back to "Kahan" this evening (Friday morning Eastern Standard Time time). Robin arrives back Monday morning. We will sit down early next week to figure out what needs to happen to accomplish the goals we have in front of us. We have a goal to complete our 12 stories by the end of the year. This date has been pushed back twice already for various reasons- the main one being a result of findings from testing in the villages. For example, the serpent in the Fall story is seen as a god! We want to be sure the stories are communicating clearly, easy to remember, biblically accurate, and culturally sensitive – getting all these pieces to fit together takes time!

(Picture: Visiting some ruins in the capitol city)

P&P
Praise for a safe and enjoyable trip with my family.
Praise for their health- only one day of stomach stuff for Mommy, Daddy and Natalie- but the rest of the time they were fine!
Praise for training- I co-taught the language section of the training for the new teams, and had a great time doing that!
Praise for a Thanksgiving spent with my family.

Prayer for traveling back to Kahan tonight.
Prayer for my parents as they have a layover in Bangkok and will be traveling from Bankok back to JFK, America tomorrow.
Prayer for re-adjustment back to life and work in Kahan.
Prayer for Robin and I as we press toward our goal of completing this initial 12 story set by the end of the year.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the Winter season!!

Till All Have Heard,

~ Elizabeth

No comments: