Sunday, August 20, 2006

"Don't Worry" (Email to Parents)

Mommy and Daddy,

Don’t worry about the trip--- really…there will be enough to think about, for sure- but please don’t “Worry.” And if you get sick…it’s okay- I mean, it’s sad for you- but if we have to stay inside all day, close to the toilet…we’ll do that- I have lots of movies… :) I have lots of medicine too! :)

As far as my expectations. I have no idea what to expect from having my family enter into this world of mine over here. I don’t plan to have any expectations, but know that even subconsciously, I may have some. I know things will be different than what I expect- you’ll like and feel comfortable with some things that I would have never expected you to be okay with. You’ll hate things I thought you would love…that’s okay- I understand it will be like that. I've been realizing that people are different- and most people AREN’T like me! Haha…The fun part will be seeing all four of you interacting and figuring things out…because you are four different people too- and will all like and dislike different things- God made us each so unique didn’t he?

Don’t worry about “meeting my expectations” - If you hate India, hate the people, the food, the transportation….that’s okay…I am not asking you to love it. Yeah, I’ll be sad…but what has already made me happy is that you are coming here- to see me…do you know how much that means to me- and shows me you love me?

Whatever happens, I know that you are not coming here to adapt to the culture and live here. You are coming to see me- whatever makes that easier for you and comfortable is fine by me. If you can’t stand being in another home where you can’t communicate, if you get off the wrong side of the jeep (Don’t worry, there’s no right/wrong side:) ), if you need toilet paper on the train (:)), if you can’t eat the food, and need to make your own, if you need to take a nap for any reason, that’s fine!! Don’t worry about hurting my feelings, or not being or doing what you think I might expect. You’ll be here- and that’s the most important thing to me…and while I’ll try and make the trip enjoyable, if you just can’t stand it- please know I won’t take it personally!!!!!! :)

I love you, and can’t wait to see you!!

~ Elizabeth

No comments: