Friday, March 17, 2006

Condoleeza Rice as next president? (Journal Entry)

We just returned from visiting a man who speaks English and Kahani. Our purpose in visiting today was to ask him if he knew of others who know English and Kahani who could help us with language and research. To make a long afternoon short- we talked more about how America is practicing it’s war weapons on Afghanistan and Iraq, and about how the Indian way of going to the bathroom is wrong. Actually we didn’t talk. He did. We listened. Even when we tried to talk, it was very hard, he wouldn’t listen. We listened to how Americans hate blacks, but Condoleezza Rice is going to be the next President. We listened to how “they” (speaking about the Kahani people) are uneducated and how in the village, the males rule the home. We listened to how he feels that women should have their individual ideas and role, and he “raised” his own wife to be that way.

Not long into the visit, a younger man came and sat with us for the remainder of the conversation. He seemed more open and to realize that we weren’t thrilled about how the “professor” was talking and dictating things. He also spoke English.

After a certain point in the conversation, my objective became not how we can get help from him, but how can we get out of here!! Granted, the place was beautiful- overlooking the valley and mountains, and surrounded with flowers. He has a really beautiful home and surroundings. There was even a swing on the porch- really lovely. But he made the place unpleasant by his lecture.

Needless to say, it wasn’t as fruitful of a visit as we had hoped for, although we did get the phone number of the other man who was there too. He teaches at a University, and when I asked if there were students who spoke English and Kumaoni he said ‘yes.’ And when I asked him if we could visit his class sometime, he said yes. Even if it doesn’t work out, he’s at least another contact for us.

I spent the better part of today attempting to craft the creation story. Anju is here this week, and I want to use her for some kind-of language help and decided that I would go ahead and start on some story stuff- to learn some language, but also to see how it works. I had the Hindi Book, and two children’s story books (both have English and Hindi translations). I took sentences from all three and wrote the story out in English, the Hindi sentence below it and then left space for Anju to write the Kahani. It’s not the best crafted story since it’s taken from three different sources and those are written sources. But, I had fun doing it and hope I may gain something from it. We’ll see- Anju comes tomorrow, I hope to work on it some with her then.

This morning, I spent time with the Lord, and felt renewed and refreshed. I think it’s an answer to the prayers prayed at Aunt Nina’s! I feel excited about this work and ready to take on whatever will come. Yes, I still really miss the village and the people there- and will always miss them when I’m not there. I woke up several times last night and thought I was in the village. I then woke up this morning and much to my dismay found that I was in city.

Vivian is going to do this week’s worship service and said she is going to do something on contentment. Something I can learn more about! And, this morning I read where Jesus says, “take my yoke, my burden is light”- just as Mommy had said on the phone last night. Yup- I want to take your yoke, Jesus! Help me to do that. Please carry these burdens for me that I have been dragging around.

No comments: