Thursday, March 23, 2006

BUSY DAY (Journal Entry)

Today was a very full day- but it’s the first time I’ve actually felt like I did what I came here to do all day long. I also fasted today- which was really good, because it made me take some time out to be with my Father. I think I especially need to do this, because otherwise, I get very caught up in ‘doing things’ and not ‘being’ with Jesus.

I feel there is so much to be done and so little time. Even in the grand scheme of things, there is little time. We have already been here 8 months; what do I have to show for it? I have done a lot- but nothing to “show” for it, per se. The groundwork has/is being laid, I guess you could say.

Anyway, here is a record of my day today:
- Woke up- spent time with Jesus, read about Samuel’s death- was encouraged by how he reminded the people of all the God had done for them. He told a summary/story(!) to them about His faithfulness. He also said that they foolishly asked for a king, since God wasn’t good enough for them- and God granted their request- Saul was going to be their king.

- Studied Kahani all morning; reviewed almost everything from the beginning. Still have some left to review on my own. Met with Gaitree (Anju’s sister). She helped translate the rest of the Creation story (will record it tomorrow).

- Fasted during lunch- enjoyed reading about one of the M’s in the book Mommy gave me. Was inspired by the fasts she did for the Japansese people. Was amazed by her mother’s faith and courage. Her mother told her at one point, “you need to prepare to die.” Even when she was allowed to leave prison because of her weak eyesight, her mother was waiting at the gates and said something like, “When you gave God everything, didn’t you give him your eyes too?” It was implied that she should go back to prison. At first the M thought of reasons why God might want her to leave prison for a while, but eventually agreed with her mother and went back. The remarks from the prison guards was: “This daughter is strong. The mother is stronger.” I hope and pray that I can be like that mother for my daughters and sons. I am also thankful for the supportive and encouraging mother I have…she has been there, at every corner!!!

-I decided to go to the bazaar. It was a debate as to whether I should go or not. I had no real reason to go. I could pick up some pictures and mail a few letters, and meet my friends and contacts there. Normally, you want to have at least 5 reasons to go the bazaar since it’s a long walk there and back. However, I realized that the walk just to meet with the people was worth it.

- As I left today, two girls met me from the house right next to ours. They spoke English and invited me to come anytime. I was shocked- didn’t realize that they spoke English. They don’t speak Kahani, so not necessarily ones we can use for the work, but still friends to practice Hindi with, to develop relationships with, and perhaps get cultural information from. It was nice to meet them. Their names are Deepika and Pinky (I think).

- I was walking near the Army camp and next to it, down the hill a little is a place I think of in my head as “mini-village.” I’ve seen girls carrying water on their head, and there are generally kids and people walking around- there is a fire going outside. It’s like a little tiny village (2 houses or so), in the middle of the town. Anyway, two girls who looked to be in their teenage years waved to me from down below as I walked on the road past their home. I waved back. I wanted to go down and see them, but thought others walking on the road might think it strange (as if I didn’t already look strange!). Needless to say, I kept walking.

I then passed some kids playing cricket on the way- I wanted to sit down with the ones on the hillside and watch, but thought maybe I’d do that another day. I also passed by a house and three kids said, “Hello” from below- I said hello and “Namaste.” I also would have liked to go visit them, but something seemed to say, ‘you don’t have time.’ I realized about 20 steps later, that not only did I have time, but that it was my job to go visit them!!! Yet, I still didn’t turn back. One could argue, it’s not necessarily ‘my job’ to meet them…but meeting people in general is my job- it never described if the people were kids or not! Plus, where kids are, often leads to others! I decided that one day I would come out to the bazaar for the purpose of hanging out with the kids…and then realized I could do that today- what was stopping me? I decided I would keep going for now, but would keep my eyes open for opportunities…and not turn them down if they came.

- I then went to the Post office. I gave my letters and asked if the one with the address written in Hindi was right. I was sending one letter to the village- we’ll see if it gets there! I spoke some Kahani with the men at the post office, and they were quite shocked and laughed. If nothing else, I gave them something to talk about at dinner.

- Next, I stopped at the photo place. After picking up my pictures, I discussed with the owner of the shop how I was looking for someone who might know Kahani and English. He said he thought he might know of some people. He wrote my name and number down and said he would call me if he met any more.

- I passed a young girl selling fruit. I actually passed a lot of people selling fruit. Although this little girl’s fruit had a million flies all over it, I stopped, knelt down and asked her how much it was. We talked for a little bit, she tried hard to make it look better than it looked. I bought grapes and oranges. She said, “please come again, if you come again, I’ll give you a 2 rupee discount.” I told her I would come again. I don’t think I’ll eat the fruit- although the oranges would probably be okay since they have skin that can be taken off…but just buying the fruit from her gave me joy. I did ask her if she knew Kahani- she said ‘no’- but pointed to some other man who did. She asked if I wanted her to go get him for me. I said ‘no.’ We talked for a bit, and then I left. I’m sure I’ll buy fruit from her again…

- I then went to visit the young women who I had met about a week ago who said they knew English and Kahani. I did meet Jaya. It turns out that she doesn’t know Kahani and her English is pretty limited. Her friend who was with her the other day knows Kahani since she was born here. But she was at school and is busy writing a paper right now. I had previously thought there might be something there with these two girls, but don’t think so much of it now…All well.

- I then visited shop where we get lots of western food stuff. Previously, the shopkeeper had said he would take me to meet his family one day. I was hoping today might be that day. However, when I got to his shop, he wasn’t there, I inquired of the other shopkeepers. At first they said, “we’re the shopkeepers, what do you want?” I said, “No, there is another one, where is he?” They said that he was in the capitol for a few days. I’ll try again next week.

- It then visited Heema, my first friend in the bazaar. I was invited to her house Sunday…I have no idea where it is, or how to get there. She said, “just ask people, they’ll know where it is.” I tried to find out if I should go by jeep from my house or walk- couldn’t really get a straight answer on that. I think it will be an adventure in which I’ll be meeting lots of other people on the way…and an adventure where I may or may not actually make it to my destination! We’ll see!

- I was on my way to Pryanka’s mom’s shop, and one stop before it, I saw a woman knitting as she sat in her shop. I hadn’t seen her before, so I went in and talked with her for a while- trying to talk in Kahani and making more mistakes than sense! I told her I had never seen her shop before, she said, “I’ve been here, sitting here every day.” I told her whenever I come to the bazaar, I’ll come to her shop and speak Kahani with her. She said, “theek chu” (ok). Her name is Nirmila.

- I then went to Pryanka’s mom’s shop right next door. Pryanka is about 15 years old. Her sister, Divya is maybe 12. They are usually both there and I hand out with them a little. Their mom knows Kahani but they don’t. Anyway, I sat with their mom for a while- she is really good at helping me with Kahani- telling me when I say things wrong…and usually understands my mistakes. I was sitting there for a while and the woman from the shop next door came over. She pointed to me and said, “This is my friend, she came to my shop today!” Pryanka’s mom said, “Oh, she is our old friend, she comes all the time to our shop, we’ve known her a long time!” Honestly, I’ve been to Pryanka’s shop perhaps 5 times total. Anyway, it was interesting to hear them talk about me and try and claim that I was their friend first, or longest…

- I then visited the other shop of people I had met the last time I was in the bazaar. The wife was cooking and I learned that she is in the shop until 2pm. After that the man runs the shop. I tried to speak a little Kahani with him and a customer came in- the customer laughed at my mistakes. I realized it was started to get dark, so I said I needed to go- I told the man to tell his wife I said hello.

- I stopped at another shop that I haven’t been in before, to get a pillow. I used a few phrases of Kahani with the men, who were the shopkeepers. They were impressed and laughed. Since they were laughing I asked, “is what I said right?” They said, “yes” as they continued laughing…

- I finally left the bazaar- the breeze starting to get cool as the sun was behin the mountains. I passed by the army camp and looked down at the “mini-village” again. The same girls were there and again waved to me. I remembered my desire earlier to visit them, and so I decided it was now or later- and later was too long to wait. I said, in Hindi, “Should I come down?” There were probably 10 people who heard me and saw me- but who cares!? The girls said, “Yes, of course, come down.” As I walked down the mountain to their house, they came and helped me with the bags. I sat with them in their dark room for a short time. The electricity was gone and there was one small candle burning. We could hardly see each other since the sunshine was also gone. It was the two girls, three little kids and one of their moms.

The girl, Sangeeta knew Kahani, but when I said, “how are you” to the mother and the little kids, there was no response. Sangeeta said that they didn’t know Kahani. I learned that she is actually Nepali, but has lived here since she was little or since she was born (I wasn’t sure) and thus knows Kahani, Hindi and Nepali. She said she knew some English, but her school is Hindi medium, so I’m guessing beyond, “how are you” – she doesn’t know much. She told me to come on Sunday as they are having the "naam sa karin" or something like that- a ‘naming ceremony.’ It’s a pretty big ceremony in Hindu culture- it happens 8 days after a child is born (I think). I told her I had some other meetings, but would realy like to come. She said, “You better come, promise you’ll come.”

- I walked the rest of the way home and just before getting home, the girl I had met on the way- the one who lives near us talked to me again. She asked me to come visit sometime- tomorrow, or the next day or the next day, if possible. It old her tomorrow might work. She said 6:00. I said okay. We have a house meeting at 4, I’m hoping it will be done by 6. If it goes til 6:30, that’s okay. If it’s too much later, I figure I’ll go to the roof and call over to her house and explain I’ll be over shortly…we’ll see how that works out.

Anyway, now I sit here writing the account of the day- and am nearly finished! My throat hurts, but I’m pretending there is nothing wrong. I don’t have time to be sick. I know, I need to take care of myself, and I will, I do, I am. But I’m not going to give in if it’s just a little cold- plus we’re going to Thailand soon- I am planning to catch up on sleep and health then…hopefully…we’ll see.

I’m thankful for today’s events…and I now have three people’s homes to visit over this weekend…I’m glad to have ‘friends’ to visit, but not sure if any of them will lead to a story-crafter...
Deepika- knows English, but not Kahani
Sangeeta- knows Kahani, but she’s Nepali in origin…
Heema- knows Kahani, but not English

I think as I continue to meet people, I’m going to have to figure out how to balance the relationships. Some relationships may just be for the sake of having friends, and that’s fine. But some may be for work, and some may be for “figuring out what they will be!” I know I will have to decide at some point, “What is the benefit in going to this person’s house?” For language learning, cultural learning, building relationships for story work, friendship, or is it for THEIR benefit? It's not always just about how it will benefit me...

I don’t have time to go to everyone’s house I meet- even if that was my full time job- there are a billion Indians here!!! Lord, I pray that you would help me balance my time- and help guide my steps to meet those people who may be used in your work- whether as a story-crafter or otherwise. Help me to know how much time to spend with people, and how to gently end a relationship/stop meeting with certain people if there is no benefit for them, me or your work. Thank you for these friends, old ones and new ones. Thank you for making me feel like I had a full day’s work today…Please help me to be able to study language for tomorrow’s lesson, and to be able to meet Deepkia tomorrow evening.

I pray for each one of these people- Deepika, Pinkie, Sangeeta, Heema, Pryanka, Divya, their mother, Rangila (the girl selling fruit), Nirmila (The new woman), the man and his wife, the two other shopkeepers…I pray that they would one day know you!!!!! I pray that if I may be used in that process, great…But if not, that’s good too!! Probably better- since I am a sinner and probably not the best representation of my Lord that they could see…

I hope they will know some day why I am here, and that I will be able to share stories with them, and they won’t just listen out of politeness but out of curiosity and interest. You are in control of them, me and the future…I know that, and it gives me comfort!! May your will be done here as everywhere else!!!

(Note: Psalm 78- Account of Israelites up to David.)

No comments: