Thursday, March 9, 2006

Balance of caring for partner vs. work? (Email to Parents)

Mommy, (this is a long one too!)

It’s 2:30pm, Thursday, right now- we are still in the city. Robin is sick and doesn't want to go to the village today.

So I sit here now. We need to leave by about 3:15 at the latest if we're going to go today. In order to get a jeep and walk there in time, we need to leave soon. I’m not sure what Robin is up to or thinking or how she is feeling.

On the one hand- if we don't go today, it’s just one day…just one more day delayed to getting there. Not that big of a deal. On the other hand- it's one day. Another day we’re missing village life and language study- in spite of what we can do here, we are missing practice opportunities, etc…

And I really don’t know what my best plan of action should be- if she is still sick tomorrow and can’t go- should I go without her? Even if she wanted me to go ahead, would it look bad to the family we live with if I left my sick friend in the city? Yet, what would it look like if we didn’t come at all- and couldn’t get a message to them very easily? What would they think? True- we live in a country where things happen out of anyone’s control so surely they would understand.

Another question, where is the line drawn between work and taking care of your partner? Is taking care of your partner work? Yes- but to what extent? Then comes the question, ‘is going to the village REALLY necessary’? It is because we said we would come back…but can that be explained to them if we don’t go/can’t go? The other thing is, the festival ‘Holi’ is coming and they are planning on us being there. If it was just a normal week (when have we ever had one of those?)- it might be easier to explain or work around, but due to this holiday, I’m not sure. The other thing is, if we wait even one more day, it’s unsafe to travel due to Holi festivities…

I’m not sure what is best for the work and project and us as partners. Finding that balance is really difficult…

....written later....
During the past hour, I was able to read some good quotes from Amy Carmichael, Elisabeth Elliot and Oswald Chambers! Most of which apply to this very situation, or recent situations. There was one about waiting til tomorrow and making the most of opportunities. It is that one that I will cling to for now- Waiting til tomorrow is not the worst thing in the world. And there are things/opportunities I can do here. I have a ton of language to study- I can probably do that better here than in the village anyway…So what am I doing typing all this email out to you!? Not sure- mainly to gather my thoughts on the situation I think, to see if any answers come out of it (though nothing has so far).

Love you- oh, I was thinking while I was writing this that I look forward to sharing moments like these with a life partner who shares this dream with me. Along those lines, I also think arranged marriage is a good idea- arranged by our Father of course, but then by parents…haha…so…not to put any pressure on you or anything, but you can start looking for someone when you get the chance!!! :) Haha!!!

~ Elizabeth

No comments: