Friday, September 15, 2006

Network busy...(Email to Mommy)

Mommy,

Hey, I waited for your call, but guess you were busy, or perhaps the network was busy...

Yesterday was a pretty busy day. Had language session in the morning. Then took the bike for it’s routine check-up- and the day before that I had met a girl this photo place who spoke English…so I asked her if she knew Kahani and if she could help me translate some stories from Kahani to Engl- she said she would try.

So, yesterday, I went back and sat in the middle of the shop and worked on a story with her- her brothers, or cousins were there too- they helped her on two parts she couldn’t understand. Her English is pretty good- and her Kahani is also pretty good- though not 100%.

After that, I walked back through the bazaar. Any person I met, I asked if they spoke English and if not, or if they met a girl who spoke English and Kahani to call me. Mainly I asked at the book shops where college girls come to buy books. While I was asking at one shop, a man was there listening and said, “I know some teachers in the college who might be able to help you, and after one week, I’ll call you and tell you.”

We’ll see…I’ve done that before- asked people, without much response, but this time I had more language to communicate exactly what I was looking for- so we’ll see.

Today, I’m going back to the bazaar to meet one storekeepers' daughters to try back-translating with them….and then I’m going to Panna’s village (the lady who cooks for us) to try story-crafting with a girl there. I want to get as much in my mind so I can talk with Judy and Trisha (our consultants) about all the options….

I guess we will talk soon! Okay, love ya and miss you!!

~ Elizabeth


No comments: