Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dreaming in Kahani (Email to Friends back home)

Hey Paltan! That is, if you scattered doston can still be considered a paltan (group)! Here, there, let’s see how far apart we can get!!!!

Anyway, it’s been a while since I’ve sent out an update to you all, and so here’s the latest from my side.
(two village kids and me!)
Stories…
We have been working on stories day and night- several girls have been helping us make the stories- our neighbors listen to them and provide helpful feedback. I’m encouraged that our supervisor is approving some of the stories already. It’s exciting.

I’m continuing to learn language, Kahani. It’s amazing that sometimes I dream in Kahani now. Sometimes I can’t remember which language I spoke to someone in because it seems fairly natural now! Not that I’m fluent, but I can communicate! :) My grammer might not be correct- but I have enough friends who have listened to me enough to know what I’m basically trying to say!! ;) It’s neat to hear people’s response when I say, “I really don’t know Hindi, but I can speak to you in Kahani!” Last month, Robin (The girl I’m working with) and I had a workshop for some local leaders about the story work we’re doing. We talked the whole time in Kahani- and encouraged the people there to speak Kahani too- even though they are used to holding meetings in Hindi. My Hindi has actually decreased since I’m really focusing on understanding and communicating in the local language. BUT, I can still bargain with the auto rickshaws in the capitol! :)

Today is wet, rainy, cold, dreary- though the past few weeks have had pretty warm, sunny weather. I think summer is on it’s way, but winter still lingers. It also snowed here a few weeks back. We didn’t have electricity for more than 48 hours…that was fun. Electricity goes out nearly every day- sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for 6-7 hours. We’ve had water, but two weeks ago, our tanks were down to about 2 inches of water left- but fortunately the next day more water came, so we didn’t actually run out.

(picture - Holi festival - yeah, it's much better in this country than DE, it lasts for 5 days!)
Life here is going well in general. Days come where I miss home so much I think I’ll just leave. But remembering why I’m here, and that this work is important…helps keep me focused. At this point, I’ll probably be home around September-October- but not any fixed plans yet. It has been so great to see several of you over the past year and a half…I miss you all a lot. I’m sure it will be different to come home to a group that is now almost all nearly married, a new paltan baby, and most of you living NOT in Delaware! Ahh!! But, I’m glad we can still stay in touch…I’d love to hear what you are all up to as well…don’t feel you have to write as much- even just a few sentences letting me know how life is! :)

~ Liz

No comments: