Sunday, June 25, 2006

Precious Story...and finding others to help...(Journal Entry)

On Friday, I went to Precious and hung out there for about 2 hours- she read me a story of her recent happenings with this guy- Udit, that she likes- but only as a friend (though it’s obviously something more). Half of her story was actual facts- what had happened. The rest of was her imagination of what could possibly happen in the future…and what a sad story it was…

The story included her aunt and uncle forcing her to get married to someone who wasn’t very good- and the day of the wedding ceremony she fainted. Then started foaming at the mouth- it was clear to everyone that Precious had taken poison. She went to the hospital and several hours later woke up. Her family asked why she had done that and she said because she didn’t want to marry that person.

Her family disowned her, and threw her out of the house. She was walking on the road, decided to throw herself in front of a car, but the car stopped in time. The guy in the car took her to his house and took care of her. A few days later, she left- not knowing where she would go- and looking like a beggar. She went to a town 3 hours south of here where this guy Udit. Precious went to the office- and after being looked up and down by the secretary (because she looked pretty shabby) and waiting for a few hours- she saw Udit…He didn’t recognize her. She said, “It’s me, Precious, your friend.” He knew who she was, but didn’t admit it- the office staff was laughing because they were thinking how could this business man have a beggar as his friend. Then Udit also made fun of her and told her to leave. She went out on the steps of the office…It was also January and really cold at that time- and so that night, she died.

I asked Precious if things like this really happen- she said yes. I asked her why she wrote such a sad story. She said, “as I think about things, I just write them.”
It was really sad to think she could put herself in such a story…

Anyway, she asked how she could improve her English vocabulary- I asked her if she wanted to try helping us craft stories- which would be a lot of English conversation, etc. I said we could try one story, and see how it goes, how she likes it etc. I also explained that Robin would be able to work with her too- I didn’t say “only Robin” – but it could get to that point if things go well…She said Monday she could come to our home (Which would be a first) and try to help us…I don’t know if she knows enough Kumaoni or even good enough Kumaoni to tell a story, but still, I’m excited!

I asked P. Moses if Sam (one of our original story crafters)- could possible help us with testing the stories. We could buy a tape recorder for him and he could use it when he goes to villages. P. Moses thought it was a great idea, and set up for Sam to come on Tuesday. Anne and I will do testing session with one of the neighbors and Sam can observe- I hope that it not only is a good testing session, but a good training for Sam. And I also pray that Anne doesn’t get too nervous- as Sam would be there.

Saturday, I went to the bazaar for a number of reasons. One was to get the bike serviced. I also dropped off some suits to be made, went to the post office, did errands, got tape recorders, material for curtains, etc, etc.

I went to one shop and asked for a tape recorder- there was a young guy and an old man there. The young guy spoke English- but no, they didn’t have any tape recorders. I went to another shop, and while walking back through the bazaar, I heard a voice behind me, “Did you get the tape recorder?” I looked back and it was the young guy with a friend of his…”Yes, I said,- thanks.” He went on ahead, and I finished my errands. I then thought about it and knew I had to go back to the shop and see if there could be any connections that could be made with this young guy or perhaps a girl he might know- especially who might speak Kahani and English- since he spoke English.

I went back- and they were a little surprised to see me. I spoke in Hindi, asking him if he knew English and Kahani- and of course he wanted to know why. To make a long story short- he goes to school in Haldwani, but knows of some others who could help. I asked him if he knew any girls- and he said no. But his father, who was right there, said he did. He called up a friend that moment, and then sent his son with me to show me where they lived and introduce me. We walked through some crazy tunnels and alleys and came out on the complete other side of the bazaar- a great shortcut was found today, if nothing else!!

Anyway, I met the family- though the daughter was not home. I got her number, they have mine and I told them, we would come on Tuesday to try and see if she could help us.

No comments: