Sunday, April 30, 2006

Second Storying Session! (Journal Entry)


(pic- Robin, me, Anne)
------Before Storying Session-------
We’re off to our second storying session this morning…I’m excited and nervous again. I hope we get some kind of recording done today, that would be encouraging.

Both Robin and I think we should add Gen.1 to the story, but I don't think we'll add it today- as perhaps that would cause more confusion and would make Anne feel like there is a whole lot more to learn. We would try and do the Gen. 2 story, and then tomorrow add Gen. 1 to it…not sure how that will work, I still kind-of feel it would be better to add it all at once, but perhaps that Gen. 2 part won’t change that much after adding Gen. 1.


Basically, we have to try stuff- and this is one thing we’re trying…who knows how it will work.

Lord- I want to praise you today. After learning more about Daniel and how he praised you- I want to praise you too!!! I want to go up on the roof and sing your praises to all the Kahani people. If only that was an acceptable thing to do in this culture!!! You are wise and good and strong and kind and you are the one who determines everything that happens or doesn’t happen.

Father, I do not praise you because I want something. You already know my needs, and have provided for me. You know my desires too, and are answering those requests before I even ask of you. How great it is to be able to just sit in your presence and think about how wonderful you are! Wow! You are amazing, God- thank you for being you!

As we have already prayed, I will ask again for your blessings on the storying session today…Please guide our conversation- guide my Hindi and comprehension in the langauge. Please give Robin amazing insight into the language and the scriptures. Help me to humble myself to ask her opinions too. Help us both to realize we are in this together.

I ask these things in your name, Amen

---------After Storying Session ----------
So, we had our second storying session. It went better than the first I think…

We arrived a little early (since we take public transportation there is no knowing when we’ll actually arrive). We started right in on asking Anne some questions that she had been embarrassed to answer previously when Sam was there. She gave some interesting answers.

“What do Kahani people think about death?”
- If a man did good work in his life, he will be with God. If he did bad work, then… (I couldn’t understand what she said at this point- we asked her to repeat the answer, and we recorded it- will ask someone later to translate it for us).

“What do Kahani people think about the part in the story when it says, the man and woman will leave their parents?” (as in Indian culture, the woman moves in with the husband’s family). She said, "These days, this is okay. This happens. A man and woman do live separately.
I asked, “But normally it's not okay, right?”
She said, "Right, but if Kahani people hear that God said to do this, they will do it."

Well, that’s good to know. Robin made the comment that these stories could totally change their culture!!!

We asked to retell as much of the story as she could remember. She was nervous, but said okay. She asked if she should retell it in Hindi or Kahani. I explained that the final recording and retelling would be in Kahani, but since we don’t know Kahani as much as Hindi, she should retell it in Hindi.

And she did. She got nearly every single detail- amazing.

We listened to the Kahani scripture again (clarification - a translation team had previously translated Genesis and Mark at this point). At that point Sam came in. We continued listening and then discussed the story a little more. We then took a 5 minute break.

Then we asked if Anne could retell the story, in Kahani and we would record it. We explained it was the first time, so it’s okay if she doesn’t remember all of it. We explained that we would record it a lot, so it was okay if she messed up or whatever. She got a nervous look on her face, and asked to listen to the recording again. Robin and I explained that maybe it would be good for her to try first, then we would listen again, then she could record again…we don’t want her to just memorize the recorded scripture.

She was still really nervous and kept saying, “I don’t remember it…” We started the recorder and she kind-of started, but stalled a lot, and fidgeted with her hands, clearly very nervous. Sam kind-of tried to help, but we told him to be quiet…

We stopped the recording, and then listened to it again- unsure how to handle the situation. She had told the story so wonderfully only about ½ hour previously- what was the deal now?

After the recording, we asked if she could tell it. She said, “okay”- but still seemed very hesitant. She started, but stopped several times. It seemed clear that she was embarrassed because Sam was there, but we didn’t really know what to do because of that. I asked her, “Why is it hard- because there are a lot of people here? Is it hard because there is electricity? I was trying to make a joke and break the tension and it worked. We all laughed! Is it because it’s in Kahani now?

She said, “No, it’s because I can’t remember.”
I said, “No, that’s not true- you already told the story to nicely this morning…now you don’t remember?”
She said, “Right, I don’t remember.”

We listened to Genesis 1 recording in Kahani twice and then said we were finished with the story work for today. We said tomorrow we would put Gen 1 and 2 together.

Then, we asked her if she could tell a joke or memory from her childhood for us to learn language with. She said yes, but then couldn’t. I said, I think it’s because you feel embarrassed because Sam is here??? I was trying to make it a joke so Sam didn’t feel bad and so she could admit that was the reason. Sam actually got the hint and said, “Yes…tomorrow, just Anne will come alone, I won’t come.”

I said “okay…” amazed that he offered that solution on his own.

After this, we prayed- Sam prayed for us so Anne could understand. Then Anne went to her sewing class. We asked Sushil if he could read Hindi Gen. chp 1 for us and we could record him. Our recording of Gen. 1 was not very good so we wanted to get it again. He agreed. After that we also talked about Anne. I told him, before you came, she was talking a lot…He said, “that is the way with all Indian girls. In front of a man, they feel embarrassed and won’t talk…It’s okay- you try with her alone and see how it goes." I said, we would try and we would talk to him about it- I didn’t want him to feel completely left out or as if we don’t need him anymore.

We then talked with the ladies who were sewing on our way out. The teacher of the class said,
Teacher: “How long is the story Anne is supposed to learn?”
Me: “Not too long…”
Teacher: “She said she couldn’t do it.”
Me: “Oh no, she did do it- she did a great job too!!! She really did do it!!!”

I felt bad that Anne perhaps felt incompetent and even told her teacher about it. But I truly think it was because Sam was there- I can’t wait til tomorrow to see if she can retell it- just as she did the Hindi –nearly perfectly! I hope she doesn’t get discouraged from today. I had made a big deal when she finished the Kahani- saying, “Your first story- awesome, that was great, you did a good job…etc.”

Anyway, we talked with Pastor Moses afterwards about Sam. He totally agreed and he said, “Plus, Sam has a ‘christian mind’ so he doesn’t know about the culture and other things…” I feel like God is keeping Pastor Moses in step with us, or one step ahead – just knowing how and why things are the way they are. He was supportive of whatever we needed.

We also asked him how much a motorbike would cost. He said about 30,000 rupees- which is about $750.00. We asked about insurance, helmets, and didn’t think to ask, but Pastor Moses offered information about licenses too. He said he would help us get one if we wanted to get one.

I’m not sure what to do. We still need to find out how much gas would cost. Right now, we are spending about a dollar a day in transportation- so getting it would not cut down on cost of transportation- it’s still cheaper to go public transportation. It would cut down on time mainly…is that all? Is that reason enough to get it? It would add a little bit in other areas- figuring it out/how to drive in the mountains, care/maintenance- is that a reason not to get it?

I am still wondering if moving to the other side of town isn’t the best option…why get a bike if we should just move? I don’t know…the other thing is if we do move or if we don’t- there are still people on both sides of the city that we would need to be in contact with and use. The other people that Pastor Joseph’s wife told me about live on the other side of the city too…

I think later today, I’ll go ask that our neighbor who speaks English and Kahani if she can be a back-translator for us….hmm….we’ll see…I do need to research the Exodus story some more, maybe I’ll do some of that…how impersonal- sitting in front of the computer….ugh! Haha, all well.

No comments: