Sunday, January 7, 2007

Places In-Between (Journal Entry)

So much to do, yet today, I did nothing story-related. Of course, the day isn’t over yet. It feels a little strange, kind-of like I didn’t do anything important of valuable.

I'm trying to take it easy and rest. And boy, that's not as easy as it sounds!!! Of course it’s easy when it’s the only thing to do- on vacation for example, or on a Sunday afternoon when that’s just what you do. But for me, in this place, there is always one more thing to do. One more story to check, one more neighbor to visit. One more phone call to make, on more issue to discuss. It’s never ending. But today, I've been trying to just rest.

Lord, I’ve been thinking about something recently. Coming back here after this. Coming back to continue working on stories. I haven’t felt this idea at all until about two weeks ago. And yet, this past week showed me that perhaps there are enough workers and others who can continue the work without us- wow, wouldn’t that be great? I guess only time will tell if I feel that my work here is done. Of course, my two year-commitment will be done soon, and yes, I’ll go home then. But beyond that, is my work here finished? Only You know!

I’m listening to “The Places in Between” right now, narrated by the author- it’s about his trip across Afghanistan. And is really amazing. I want to use some of his audio clips in a language/culture learning class to give an example of detail, and certain things that we might easily overlook, but we can gain so much information from. It’s been really neat to listen to it- and wonder if I might find myself in a similar situation or place one day. Of course, so much of it applies just to men- but it does give an insight to their life and ways- which I may never get first-hand experience at.

No comments: