Sunday, October 1, 2006

"Do less stories" -Does that mean we failed? (Email to parents)

Judy (our consultant) told us to reduce the number of stories we are doing. They want us to have enough time to do some stories well than a bunch of stories that aren't really that great. They also want us to spend more time seeing that the stories are being used in groups, training people to tell stories...which is all really good.

You know, I think it’s actually a “relief” to me- reducing the stories, and moving the deadline back. Somehow, normally, I would feel like a failure because we can’t get it all done, or can’t get it done on time. BUT, I actually really do feel relieved, AND- somehow, I feel motivated to stay here another year. Just yesterday I felt like, “I’d give anything to go home right now” – and yet today, I feel like this task might be possible, and even fun over the next year. It doesn't have to be completely storying now either, we can visit our neighbros for fun, not just to work on stories. And getting pictures from you and sending you pictures will be enough to carry me til I get home….

Anyway, just thought I’d share that with you. It does feel like a little bit of a let down to have your supervisors say, “you should do less” – but if that is really all that is needed for the Kahani people, then why should we do more? And isn’t it better that the stories are actually BEING USED when we leave, then just a cd with a bunch of stories sitting somewhere? Anyway, lots to pray for…and also to thank our Father for…

~ Elizabeth

No comments: