Sunday, October 2, 2005

1st Trip to Village (Journal Entry)

We went to the village today. Robin was feeling sick and was not able to come, but Vivian, Becca and I went with Anju to her aunt and uncle’s home who live in a village. We walked a little while, then took a jeep about an hour and a half- Anju and Vivian got sick (sticking their head out the jeep window to throw up). Both Becca and I felt sick, but didn’t get sick. I felt sick for about an hour after we arrived, but never got sick.

Anyway, we arrived and walked down about 45 minutes to the village. We arrived in the “village” that in many ways seemed like a village, but then in other ways did not. I’m still trying to process everything. We had to walk by a bullock- ox-cow type thing that tried to knock us over with it’s head! We were able to get by without too much trouble, just a little scared! We got to her aunt and uncle’s home and had water and then had lunch after a while. The family speaks some Hindi and mainly Kahani. It was interesting to listen to them, but somewhat overwhelming also to think how much more there is to learn! The Aunty is very nice, though she doesn’t speak Hindi. The father is actually a Hindi teacher.

The room that we would probably stay in is pretty nice- about the same size we have now which is great. Our living conditions would be about the same- getting our water outside and heating it, only one electrical outlet- but at least there is one, a few other things like that that are similar to what we have now. Oh, a great thing- my cell phone works out there- what a blessing! It may not always work (depending on the weather!), but it worked when I called Robin today, so that’s a good sign!

The home is situated kind-of in the middle of the village, but again, I’m not sure what other people’s pictures is of a village, but this is not exactly what I had envisioned. I think partly is because it’s a mountain area. Basically, there is one house- and then a field, and another house after that and another field. Some houses are closer than others, but not really close. Now, there is a front porch/patio type thing in front of the house and while we were there, several village people just came and walked through as if it was the main highway- for them it is. Real stones and everything- rather than a dirt path! Thus, there are other people around- it’s just that houses aren’t necessarily close. Let me rephrase that- they are close- in that it would take you 5 minutes to walk to one. I think also that there are so many trees and bushes that it hides them more!

There are 14 homes- approx. 50 people in the village. There are other villages somewhat nearby, but not belonging to the same village. Anyway, it was quite the experience. It was odd to be there and think this might be my “home” or as close to it as possible for the next 2 years. I’m not quite sure I was able to process it all- or ever will be able to. I felt quite comfortable there and as if stories would be much better there than in the “big city” of "Kahan." Thus, language is going to be tricky. Kahani is a different language, and it’s related to Hindi, but certainly different. I have not yet even begun to master Hindi, let alone begin another language. I am hoping that our Epic training will teach us about languages some and helps us know what language to focus on- and how to learn it!!!!

Our trip back was also quite interesting. We walked about an hour- going a different way than on the way there. We walked along a wall, on a wall, went through a river (about a foot deep), through grass paths, dirt paths, up and down stairs and finally to the little town nearby. We then took a jeep that was much better than the one on the way there. However, the driver stopped about halfway back and said, “That’s it, I don’t go any further, get out.”

He wasn’t saying it unkindly, it was just that that town where we were was his stop- he was going to turn around and go back. We were still about an hour away from home and at that time of day, it would be quite unlikely that we would get another jeep or even a public bus. Hmm, what to do. There was a lady with us who lives close to us and she said, “We’ll take a truck.” The best thing I can think to describe this would be standing along side a road and waving down a tractor trailer and asking for a ride. That’s what we did- we climbed in- (about 4 feet up to get in the door!!!) and rode on home. Vivian, Becca and I actually preferred the truck to the jeep- since it was nice and high up and also such a big vehicle it didn’t jolt you around quite as much.

It was a good trip all in all- and I’m glad I was able to go prior to our Epic training so I have an idea of what it’s like there.

Lord, I pray now for the Kahani people- I pray for the people we will live and work among and for their impact on us and our impact on them. I pray that you would give them vision to see the stories we hope to share are true stories and can change their lives. I pray that we would be able to learn the language quickly. I pray that the storying work would go well- that we would find ways to connect with the people and craft the stories in a way that they would understand and relate to. I pray that you would guide our storying strategies as well as our time with possible storytellers. May what we say and do be glorifying to you and a blessing to these people. Give us wisdom in how to live with them and share You with them.





No comments: